Wednesday, August 26, 2009

How Quickly They Grow Up


Just back from JP Licks and ready to watch Top Chef. Before I begin, I have to address a pet peeve. It drives me crazy when a patron asks the person behind the counter a zillion questions, not taking into consideration that there is a huge line behind them. Really, you have to ask what's a sundae and does whipped cream count as a topping? And, don't ask what color the ice cream is. This happened tonight and the other week at the restaurant at Bloomingdale's when two girls were pondering what fruit to put in their smoothie like they were making a life-altering decision. Either order or get out of line.

Now on to the subject of the night. The end of August always represents change--going back to school, preparing for the new year and growing up. I'm sure as thousands of families hug their children goodbye as they go off to college, they are also saddened by the quietness of the house. For the first time, I feel like I can relate to families going through this bittersweet process.

For those who know Piper, they know that she is a bit timid and although has a big bark, it masks her shyness. Until you get to know her, she doesn't like to be pet or even looked in the eye. Piper is super dedicated to me, always following me around the apartment, going from the bedroom, living room and kitchen, and almost always sitting with me wherever I am. As I type now, she is curled up laying on my legs. If I run down to get the mail or go to Dunkin Donuts, she acts like I have been gone for days when I return. I have to admit I really do love Pipey's extreme dedication to me. At bedtime, she knows that after we go out, it's bed time and she will jump on the bed while I wash up and brush my teethe. She would always sleep on the bed and jump back and forth between the bed and her dog bed.

However, lately I have noticed that Piper sometimes goes to bed before me or hangs out in the bedroom while we are in the living room. And then, for the past week, I have woken up and found Piper sleeping in the bathroom. While she is always happy to see me, it got me thinking.

Piper is growing up. While this may sound silly, I feel like she is telling us that she wants her own room and doesn't need to sleep with me anymore. On the other hand, how sad is it that her own room is a bathroom...

While this may sound kind of silly,I feel like I can relate to parents getting ready to send their child to kindergarten or even to college. You are happy they are doing well and growing up, but a bit sad that they don't need you as much. I know that a dog is no way equal to having a child but it is a bit of the same thing on a smaller scale.

Anyway, change is part of life and this August is no different. A lot of changes are on the horizon and I'm going to embrace it. I am happy for P's newfound confidence and know that she still loves me best and needs me, especially in thundar storms and apparently during loud Paul McCartney concerts.

I'm looking forward to see what this school new year has to bring. It should be exciting.

1 comment:

  1. I loved it! i just hope a 1-bedroom doesn't become available in her price range...

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter