Friday, April 10, 2009

Not in a million years


Not in a million years of dating horror stories would I have thought I'd be the guest of honor at a bridal shower. I know people say things like that but I really feel in my case it's true. I think I have blocked out some of the bad dates I've been on but as my friend Erin would say, I had some doozies that I could write about. A friend of mine told me recently about her friend who went on a few dates with a guy and then when she Googled him, she found out he had been convicted of raping someone. Mel and I joked that we could see this happening to me: "I finally meet someone and he turns out to be a rapist!"


Anyhoo (as mel says), there I was at my bridal shower last Saturday. The girls surprised me with a cake that had a picture of me in nursery school. I actually remember that day; I loved that Woodstock dress and my mom told me to make sure that both of my braid were in front of my shoulders so they would show. I loved it. And, Mel ordered boxes of Whitman Sampler candy for everyone. I embraced all the traditions I would scoff at as a single woman enduring the shower--notably the opening of the presents. Although, I did not do the bow thing which is just ridiculous. The food was great--highly recommend Baker's Best caterers, esp. the quiche--and I really liked seeing family and friends, especially those who I haven't seen in a long time like Aunt Edith.


So, I guess the point of this story besides saying that I had a great time at my shower is that I probably should have been more receptive and open minded at the previous showers I attended. Oh well.

1 comment:

  1. Also missing from the shower was that really fun game where you make a wedding dress out of toilet paper. One of my favorites. I always beg to be the bridge.

    As a slightly cynical, overly single, hormonal, occasional non believer in romance and true love, even I enjoyed your shower! Even the gift opening.

    Although, I anticipate the May outing will be even more fun. And the big day in June...even better.

    Will you wear your hair in pigtails next week? I like that look.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter